PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age requirements (and hours) in ME!! carriers
Old 8th Sep 2011, 17:34
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good prose...

A certain sub-continent psycologist working for a dominant Middle Eastern carrier told me (years ago now) as he reviewed my "profile" during a three day visit to a city with a rather tall, empty building, that due to my age, I would not be a good fit for them. (not sure why they invited me all that way after that comment, but never mind, I was on their dollar)
When I questioned the 'age thing' he stated (well rehearsed I might add) that the airline didn't believe someone my age would ever accept a 'younger' person in a position of authority. Say....the Captain?

Since it was understood (by me) that I wasn't going to be accepted by this company, I explained to him that I only wanted to fly a shiney new Fatbus and to look good whilst doing it. Besides, most companies fire Captains who screw up, not F/Os. (with the odd exception)

I should think aviation and aviation companies are screwing themselves by NOT looking at anyone suitably experienced and qualified for the job. Pilots are becoming harder and harder to find in suitable numbers and some of these companies are going to be crying in their beer soon. That is of course if what we read about shortages is even half true. Meanwhile, us older folks keep drifting further and further away from the 'dream' that got us into this profession, which is unfortunate. But all good things come to an end. Don't they?

As for a return on investment, if you only have a limited number of years left to give a company, it's highly unlikely you'll be moved from fleet to fleet.
Sorry, but flying one type does NOT take years to repay or recover and it does give a company time for one of it's cadets to get up to speed and take over. That's a make-it-happen-now proposition no one seems to be interested in.

I have to admit, retirement is starting to look more appealing than a shiny new aeroplane. (Let's be honest, the A380 is just ugly)

Willie