PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Printer Cartridge Restrictions.
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2011, 16:29
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One word of caution with HP inkjet printers: HP were the first manufacturer to introduce inkjet printers and their print head design would not last for the life of the printer. This was accepted then as this was the first inkjet system ever. HP thus designed their print heads to be disposable and built into the ink tank so, as soon as the ink ran out a new new full ink tank/print head had to be acquired which overcame the low print head life problem. Subsequently other head mechanisms were developed with adequate life so with Epson, Brother, Canon and other printers, only the ink tanks need refilling/replacing.
In practice, I have found that if H.P cartridges are refilled before they become empty then the head seems to last for ages and will accept many refills - if you can refill them, but I have found that third party H.P ink refills often do not work properly because, although they may be full of ink, the heads themselves are second hand and one of the units may have failed resulting in a scrap cartridge which is fuill of ink. Because of this, I have found that brand new H.P ink cartridges have to be used, but, as I have said, it is sometimes possible to refill these.

P.P.