PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article: NTSB: Emirates 777 continued flight after loud bang, messages
Old 8th Sep 2011, 16:02
Dont Hang Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are nice to know but have NOTHING to do with inflight failures and have NO effect on decision making.

FYI The concept of Status message (AFAIK) was introduced with the B747-400.
As I said before the status messages aren't even displayed to the pilots (directly).
There is only a blue Cue indicating the presence after which the STS info can be called up.
With the introduction of the B744 the cue could be displayed right after take-off, causing some inadvertent inflight returns because the old school classic 747 pilots thought they were actual failures (like several posters here).
Boeing responded with inhibiting the STS cue until 30 minutes after T/O.

Still don't get it?
I think I do get it. But I also understand the cause of some perplexed head scratching on this thread. The content of these mere status messages seems to go beyond what may be deemed 'of minor academic interest'.

Thrust asymmetry? Overheat and Fire sensor problems? All after a loud bang? That sounds like a big deal.

I defer to those that understand these things properly but I understand the confusion.