PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore Trooper
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2011, 12:31
Grobling About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That answers a long held question

Goudie

Thanks for that statement regarding the shutting down of engines on Eagle's Britannias. I was born in Changi in September 1960 and flew back to the UK with my parents about 18 months later (so early 1962) aboard an Eagle Britannia. Being very young at the time I must rely on my parents' story. I believe that we routed from Changi to Bombay to Istambul and then London (LHR/LGW?). They told me that we landed at Bombay with a failed engine and that there was an 'unlocked' undercarriage condition at Istambul. I have never been able to work out how the failed engine was satisfactorilly rectified within the flight servicing so can now assume that it was a case of saving fuel. I will sleep well now.

Long-haul flying in the 50s and 60s seemed to be fraught with excitement as my parents used to tell me how close they came to death every time they flew. One such occasion was an Argonaut flight to or from Butterworth, where they suffered from smoke emerging from the floor and a resultant extended stay in Columbo.