PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article: NTSB: Emirates 777 continued flight after loud bang, messages
Old 8th Sep 2011, 11:12
rob_ginger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality check from an SLF

During my training on the 777, it was stressed that we should not try to outguess the systems - and definitely not act upon any status message. Status messages are just that, STATUS messages, which, translated for those who need translation, means "a syatem (or systems) is (or are) not operating at 100%, but we, the men who designed this aircraft, after many hours of careful consideration and with many, many hours of deliberation - and much, much more information than you, the operating crew (and the Monday morning quarterbacks) can ever hope to have available to you - have come to the conclusion that those systems haven't degraded to the point where crew action is necessary"

Sorry, but I can't let this pass. I have to agree with sax_r54's comments about what I would expect an aircrew to do in the circumstances as reported, i.e. *loud* bang, followed later by STATUS messages.

I would agree that if you JUST had some status messages you would be "alert but not alarmed". However, the loud bang makes a world of difference. I think it's a little cute to take the two in isolation. I'm a graduate electrical engineer, and if a comparable situation occurred in my line of work I wouldn't hesitate to shut down plant/stop production/whatever until the cause of the noise had been established.

Like sax_r54 I'm pretty disappointed at the apparent attitude of some posters on this forum, who seem to be saying that it's OK to ignore a loud bang AND some subsequent status messages. Here's another SLF who doesn't like that attitude.

If the circumstances were indeed different in this particular case then that's another matter, but my comments on the event as reported here stand.