PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hebe Haven Yacht Club Cats under Threat
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2011, 02:13
MucMuc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Believe me, cat poop is not a problem compared to your fuel and electrical lines chewed up and a nice rat family nesting inside your speedboat...

HHYC has had a TNR (trap-neuter-release) program implemented for the last year and a half, meaning that all the cats are neutered, microchipped and vaccinated. It keeps the colony numbers stable and healthy. If the club decided to "remove" (that's rubbish, what they mean is "exterminate") the cats, it would create a hole in the area, and in the matter of few weeks cats from all over Pak Sha Wan would descend on the empty area in much larger numbers. Then it's back to square one, with kittens everywhere (of which only about 10% survive), lot more cats etc. One of the conditions of this program is also is that the colony carers feed the cats to avoid scavenging and consequentially, disease.
This is the reason program has been implemented and the colony numbers have been stable with no increases of population. The program is active all over the world and it's been proven to work better than extermination.

The downside is, yes poop, but from my experience, rats and even mice do hell lot more of a damage that is harder to fix (think electric cables, fuel lines..). Also, once rats get to certain size, they push the cats out as they become too dangerous do deal with.
With pretty grotty boatsheds on both sides of the club, plus the Rat Alley restaurants and our own outdoor food storage area, the potential for rat infestation is tremendous.

I can live with few poops.

(Yes, we have cats)