PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying phobias in aircrew
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2011, 23:18
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weird experiences in roughly chronological order.

Last Solo Navex from Valley, up a valley in Scotland, low cloud & pine forest. Complete loss of depth perception, turned left & snuck out the side of the valley through last remaining letter box. First time in my life I'd felt real fear; had to lap a hill twice just to calm down. Found out a year later that a Jag guy crashed (fatal) up the same valley less than 20 mins later, report said possibly due to loss of depth perception - I KNOW it was. Relieved to find out fear was completely justified, as it has been on the other occasions it happens to me. Never had the 'inexplicable fear' some others have mentioned here, but I suspect you were right to be fearful!

Out-of-body experience closing in on a night lights-out Visual Ident (before NVGs). Seemed like I was drifting up and back from my body; no fear, just peaceful, detached. Guess a small part of my brain remembered the North Luff medical brief. A little voice said "get back in there". Instantly back in my own head, can't have lasted long - a few seconds?, nav didn't notice, completed intercept, no after effects.

Nearly fell asleep once over Paris on a long formation transit home. Nav was already asleep. I now find it impossible to sleep on any airliner, even after 50+ hours without sleep. No nerves, it just can't happen.

Like many I was afraid of heights, anything over about 10 feet, though never in an aircraft (even in a low hover). Took up skydiving. Fear (especially in the open doorway) lasted till jump eight. Never any fear once out of the aircraft. No fear anywhere from jump 9 onwards, or in any other situations afterwards - I now like skydiving on my back looking up at the sky, and happily helped a neighbour relay his roof in the snow last winter. Simple solution guys, do 9 jumps!

Recently singlehanded the Atlantic. Occasionally felt like jumping off the back for about the first 10 days 'just to see what it would be like'. Had read lots of singlehander tales that told me this was quite common. Feeling went, with no recurrence. You hear voices, dogs barking, that kind of thing also, which is also quite common, apparently.

To the best of my knowledge, I am no more crazy than the rest of you.