PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too short?
Thread: Too short?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2011, 17:50
B2N2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
There's something that has been buggging me about this thread.
I can't get rid of the feeling that there is a certain amount of "because I want to I should be able to" going on.
A certain sense of entitlement, like it's a right to become an airline pilot regardless.

In general, not aimed at anybody in particular, newsflash for you.
You don't have a right to anything. If you do not have the physical characteristics that a particular job (or hobby for that matter) requires it's time to look for something else.
Tremendous cliche but still true: not everyvody is fit to be an astronaut or pro basketball player.
Even if you pass all medical, written and psych tests you may still be unsuitable for that particular job. Aviation is no different.

It used to be that airforce fighter pilots had to meet very strict height requirements. Height but also leg length. This had to do with the ejection seat, you're off little use if you legs stay behind when you eject.
If you didn't meet those requirements you'd be flying freighters, no if or but's about it.

So I'll work for an airline that only flies this make and model. Alright, what if they change in 6 months or a year? What if the airline merges with another airline and phases out the only model you can fly?

About the best advise i can give you is to NOT rely on a anonymous forum.
I wish you all the luck but I'm sceptical.

Here is some interesting reading on the subject of DERP (Design Eye Reference Point) or the correct eye height for flight crew.
In this accident report it is determined that an incorrect eye-point was a causal factor in the accident.
http://flightsafety.org/ap/ap_nov93.pdf

Just above the compass in this Citation cockpit you will see two orange dots, these are the eye reference height.

In this picture the guy on the right might actually be sitting a little too high by the looks of it:

In this very nice picture of an Airbus 321 you see the same little markings just above the compass.