PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2011, 13:55
gums

Received 56 Likes on 17 Posts
Stick shakers, et al

I go with Clandestino about using a "vibrator" on the stick. In the AF447 case, the dude that kept pulling back would have felt it, as he was not just sitting there watching Otto try to fly the jet.

The 'bus stick is displacement, not force as we had in the Viper. The sensors can easily be tailored to pay no attention to the "buzzing" stick.

Need a Concorde dude here, as I bet its "stall" was very benign and a shaker would warn of getting too high of an AoA. My own experience in a delta was that there was zero "stall" as we think of it. The thing just got "mushy" as AoA went way up and drag exceeded power available. Very smooth, with only a very slight buzz that you could hear first, then got to where you could feel it. Viper was almost the same due to the automatic leading edge flaps.

Energy awareness discussion needs to be expanded here. Seems a basic component of the "pilot" skills that can be learned and trained to accomodate. The sailplane folks here shuld be very aware of energy management. I only had about 4 minutes of it, as Sully did, when my motors quit and I deadsticked the jet onto a runway.