PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2011, 12:18
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEBF

I have recently become an Old Age Pensioner and I was just one of millions of children who were the "Baby Boom" in the aftermath of WW2. That "Boom" lasted for several years as Service Personnel returned home and Prisoners of war were repatriated.

The NHS came about after the war and for the first time adequate Medical Facilities became available to all the population coupled with NHS Dried Milk and Orange juice for children. This was coupled with vaccination programmes and home visitors to advise new Parents.

I can remember the building programme for new Schools as the Baby Boomers reached the age for Secondary Education. Now the building programme is for suitable accommodation for the elderly.

In September 1939 a reporter broke the news of Britain's Declaration of War against Germany to the Australian Prime Minister and asked if that affected Australia. The reply was that Britain had declared War and Australia was part of the British Empire. Australia was, therefore, at War with Germany.

In those days the Royal Navy could count on the immediate support of the Australian, Canadian, Indian, New Zealand and South African Navies.

That is not necessarily true today.

Last edited by cazatou; 7th Sep 2011 at 12:44.