PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting article
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2011, 03:37
Gnadenburg

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts
Interesting viewpoints being presented, but it would seem some are proposing the Airbus FCTM as some kind of secret document (to CX crew)which contains amazing revelations about how to do things "correctly"!

Please go to one of our esteemed managers on the 3rd floor and ask the history of said document. I heard a that it was a CX Manager who went to TLS a few years back and wrote the original Airbus FCTM. Is this true?
Not at all. What I was saying is the KA guys went from Airbus FCTM to the CX FCTM overnight. There were many noticeable differences and it seems the Airbus FCTM is more evolved and has a more depth in some areas. As you would expect from the resources available to the manafacture.

Now, some are claiming here that CX invented the concept of the FCTM. Maybe this is so. But I do recall seeing an FCTM of similar structure in another Airbus airline around 15 years ago. It was a poor example but the fact the structure was so similar to today's example, may suggest the FCTM was pushed by Airbus long ago to its customers.

If it's important for people here to think the FCTM was invented by CX then so be it. Personally, I preferred the Airbus FCTM, as I felt it more open minded. One simple example coming to mind was flying below maneuver speeds on approach. Another reason I favor the the Airbus SOPs and FCTM is mobility. It is a lot easier when you move on and join another airline. This would not be much of a consideration at a legacy type carrier such as CX I suppose.