PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navigation exam - do I have to use the Whizz Wheel?
Old 6th Sep 2011, 23:58
Odai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation exam - do I have to use the Whizz Wheel?

Hello,

I am currently studying for my PPL navigation and flight planning exams. Got all the others out of the way.

The only problem I have with the studying at the moment is the use of the Whizz Wheel. To say I absolutely despise the thing is a massive understatement.

I appreciate it's importance in calculating various essential bits of information, but I prefer to use my own methods to do so.

For example, when calculating headings, drifts, ground speed etc, I always work it out myself with algebra/trigonometry/vectors.

When I was first introduced to navigation by my flight instructor two years ago (it's been a while since I've flown, taking a break for medical reasons), he did try to get me used to the Whizz Wheel. But I had great difficulty doing so. So, he let me do all the planning myself using my own methods, then he'd check up on my numbers using the Whizz Wheel. I was always spot on, same numbers.

Although it's insignificant, my numbers were exact right up to rounding at the very end of the calculations. Whereas with a Whizz Wheel, you'd be using rounded, whole numbers right the way through. So a bigger potential for inaccuracy there. Not to mention Whizz Wheels that have been poorly manufactured, using a pencil that's too thick, hand slipping etc...

I did that for the rest of the time I was flying. Never touched the wheel and I was perfectly happy. However, at the time my instructor did stress that it wouldn't be enough for the exam, and that the CAA would want me to show that I could use the wheel. (Although, I don't recall if he was referring to the actual navigaton theory exam or the skills test.)

However, I did read somewhere that you are allowed an electronic calculator for the exam. In this case, I could get by without a Wheel, I just need the calculator for hard arithmetic and working out tangent/sine/cosine values etc. But is there an actual need for me to show I can use the Wheel, as my instructor said? Or will I be OK if I can just get through the problems in the exam using other methods?

I'd really appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,

Odai.