PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Aerobatics Training
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2011, 19:29
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The finest glider aerobatic pilot that I ever knew was Doug Bridson. He was the only truly natural pilot that I ever met in my (so far) 55 years of aviation.

He had the prototype Skylark 2 specially modified for inverted flight etc and I can remember reading an article in the Flight magazine back in the 1960s which reported on the aerobatic championships held at Dunstable. It said something like this:

"The most spirited display was undoubtedly that of Flt Lt Bridson in his Skylark 2 who was unfortunately disqualified when he put all of the judges on their knees in the mud during his inverted beat-up".

He did a display at the Battle of Britain display at Benson in the Chilterns GC Bocian. He followed four Lightnings in the programme and the contrast from all that thrust and reheat to a silent aerobatic display was a difficult act to follow.

The applause from the crowd would have overwhelmed the noise of the Lightnings.

Just before we launched Doug, the Station Commander came out of the VIP tent and told me that "Bomber Harris" was fond of gliders and it would be nice if Doug could finish his display close to the VIP tent so that they could speak.

Doug landed without use of wheel or air brake and taxiied up to the VIP tent and dropped the wingtip over the white rope fence and deposited it in Bomber Harris's lap!

That is what I call style.

Incidentally, Doug was also "quite good" at flying Lightnings.