PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article: NTSB: Emirates 777 continued flight after loud bang, messages
Old 6th Sep 2011, 17:40
sAx_R54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@woo hoo

A while ago I was on my way to MKJP to present a paper to a professional institute. Ironically enough it was a T7 departing from LGW. 20mins before touchdown the plane encountered heavy turbulence and dropped like I've never experienced before or since. Thankfully we did go on to make a perfectly safe landing.

In the baggage hall at arrivals the Captain and FO were standing right next to me, so I took the opportunity to ask what had happened. The Captain ignored a request for conversation (surname Dawg perhaps!), but the FO explained it had been a little wild and that the command to FA's to immediately seat was because they were unsure if someone had been hurt, or how long the turbulence on descent would last. It was incredulous to me how anyone could take that experience as routine. His final anecdote was that flying was extremely safe and encouraged me to read an aviation blog to get a better look behind the 'scenes', hence PPRuNe ever since.

Reviewing a number of PPRuNe threads has not actually made me feel anymore comfortable when I fly and it is the type of mis-placed arrogance demonstrated by some here, that is a disservice to the aims of a true safety culture. Periods of enlightenment cease when we take ourselves more important than we ought, so my apologies again to all if this appears to be the hallmark of a troll, but at approx 6 posts/pa I am remarkably ill-equipped to lay any claim to even a modicum of success in that direction.