PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying phobias in aircrew
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2011, 16:11
Cruise Zombie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying phobias in aircrew

I guess this is probably a taboo subject, but any info would be very gratefully received.

AME's in the civilian world are starting to report more and more cases of airline pilots showing signs of stress, anxiety and burntout which, in a handful of patients, has resulted in a fear of flying and temporary/permanent grounding.

A colleague of mine ( ex-tornados ) said that, during his time with the RAF, he knew of a few pilots who had to stop flying due to developing a fear/phobia of their role. Some after seeing action, others after the simulated ' being shot down and caught by the enemy ' exercise carried out on some remote moor.

Any information, or links to information, about such cases which may shine some light on this problem would be very helpful.

I know, from his books, that an ex-RAF psychiatrist, Prof. Gordon Turnbull, did quite a lot of work in this area some years ago concentrating mainly on PTSD. However if anyone knows if there is publicly available case studies which might help civilian AMEs help their patients please would you let me know.

Many thanks.