PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article: NTSB: Emirates 777 continued flight after loud bang, messages
Old 6th Sep 2011, 08:33
sAx_R54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...The guy has a point of view set in stone and won't hear any argument to the contrary, even from very experienced captains on the type...
My point of view is set in 'passenger' not in stone! I believe that this thread was started by a T7 pilot and he/she amongst others similarly on this thread would have conducted an immediate return. Other T7 pilots (you?) would have elected to continue. This strikes me as a sort of aviation arrogance, where risk can freely be moved from contained to unknown, as the industry knows what type of risk passengers would like to experience on any given day. And if there is a greater economic need to reduce the cost profile of operation, then passengers have to join in regardless of their view. It may well be argued that is exactly what we purchase when we buy a ticket, but the disembarking passengers in Bahrain might disagree on seeing site of the damage to the aircraft.

If you are an experienced pilot of type, then for sure it might be great to convey your aviation macho-ism to fellow colleagues over a pint, as how you danced on the rudder pedals in a manner which Fred Astaire would have delighted, following failure of thrust asymmetry compensation, as you counteracted increasing yaw and balanced the plane on the precipice of controllability, after engine shut-down! Boys own story, fantastic stuff! But we passengers may not have enjoyed it as much.

I don't possess your insight, but for those times when luck and skill run out, we have threads that run over 200 pages of what pilots should done to prevent the situation.

Last edited by sAx_R54; 6th Sep 2011 at 08:59.