PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2011, 23:49
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AF need to address why all 3 pilots with their training would not mention "stall" or "décrochage". All 3 pilots could hear it. I don't think Airbus and BEA would have that answer.
In other words: Has some phase of the training de-sensitized the crews from hearing and responding to the stall alarm? Do Sim instructors debrief items while the stall alarm is sounding? Have crews somehow learned to ignore or 'listen through' the stall alarm?

The rudder pedal shaker in the F-4 was excellent for gaining my attention promptly. Several threads before, I mentioned a seat shaker as probably the most viable tactile stall warning technique on a stick flown FBW transport aircraft where the crew may fly with feet off pedals and even hands off stick. With the AF447 crew demonstrating that they did not respect/respond to the stall warning annunciation and crickets, there must be a need for a better way to get a pilot's attention. (Yes, PF did appy TOGA at the second set of stall alarms together with aft stick to keep the nose from falling )