PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Engine reading
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2011, 22:24
john_tullamarine

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts
It is relevant to consider the different requirements for folks and the old principle of horses for courses.

The pilot needs the basics so that something approximating a good situation can be achieved without diverting too much cognitive effort into sideline trivia. Anything more in the knowledge banks is a good thing.

The engineer needs to know what is going on so that the story can be used to predict numbers and such.

The physicist/mathematician .. well, who knows .. but they do tend to need the comfort of detailed analyses .. which the engineer can use to do things.

Russ Evans' little book is a useful pilot read (very interesting character .. can recall, as a PPL student at RNAC, Russ and Henry doing an inappropriate, but impressive, beat up in the prototype Victa Aircruiser. As I recall from a tale from Stan, another of his tricks with the experienced instructor renewals was to make the PFLs a little more interesting by throwing the keys over into the baggage compartment ..) Fond memories of Stan, Jack, and BJ.

Is Russ still with us these days ?

The Trevor Thom series has a lot of good information .. one of the advantages of having folk who know their stuff writing books.

Several of the others I have read but the detail is forgotten. Provided that the author of your preferred document is competent all the stories should be in like vein.

That name still haunts me even after all these years.

That comment raises my eyebrows .. to what does it refer ? Haven't seen Trev for many years and not since his tumble but, in earlier days, he was a delight to work with.

5 deg bank is a certification limit

Tinny's story pretty well sums up the pilot's view of bank. It is appropriate to keep in mind

(a) for Vmca, bank is CRITICAL and the realworld Vmc can vary significantly if the bank is not well controlled. The suggestion of 3kt/deg is probably a reasonable ball park. I recall a course, years ago, wherein the figure for the B52 was quoted if the bank were applied the "wrong" way .. something like 34 kt if the memory serves me correctly ? It's worth keeping in mind that the shape of the characteristic curve is not linear .. rather more like a tan curve .. main thing to take away is that things will go pear shaped ever more quickly as the bank continues to depart from optimum .. either way.

(b) too much sideslip might introduce a risk of departure .. which could spoil one's day. Again, get it right when back near Vmca. Having said that, why do it ? Most multis don't have much performance to speak of near Vmca ... Vmca is for test and certification folk to play with.