PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I need this update
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2011, 17:52
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dazdaz1,

"no clear goal or reason" The reason being is that I don't want to fill my HD with non needed downloads from MS
Unfortunately that's not what I would call a "clear goal or reason".

What I would call such a reason is the very same reason a professional IT department would look for before expending time on such matters.

Examples include, but are not limited to :

- You've got some servers running mission critical apps. The update is fairly major and also requires a reboot. You want to determine whether the update needs to be applied ASAP or whether you can hold back a bit .... hence you assign an IT slave to play with it in the lab for a bit in order to get an idea of its likelihood to break things or whether it might bring additional benefits.

- You're running some software written by incompetent developers that has very strict system requirements in terms of .NET versions or whatever. you don't fancy breaking said software, hence you have a valid reason to hold of whilst you pester the code monkeys to bring out an update to their software.

In the end it will most things still end up being applied in some scheduled maintenance slot down the road. The main reason being that OSs like Windows and the software that runs on it are so complex and intertwined (through developer APIs etc) that without a stack trace you never really know what influences what.

Fact remains that Microsoft don't employ developers and spend money managing a download infrastructure just to p*ss you off and eat up your hard drive space..... they release patches to fix issues in their software. The fewer patches they release is a win win situation (less HD space for you, less development time for them). But, unfortunately, as we all know, Windows is buggy and needs love and care !