PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wikileaks releases unredacted USA State Dept files....
Old 5th Sep 2011, 13:24
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jane-DoH

"As the ability to broadcast information increases, so will the government's ability to censor it. You have to keep in mind there are various methods of censorship which do not require a person constantly monitoring things."

I absolutely disagree with you here. The ability of the Gov't to censor DECREASES as the ability to broadcast information increases.
Power of information is being more concentrated in the consumer / available to the consumer more than ever.

Recent examples - 1. Arab Spring uprisings - numerous Gov't have tried to censor the net (Facebook etc), mobiles, texts, SMS's etc and have failed badly.
2. London Riots - an example where a whole range of communication systems net (Facebook etc), mobiles, texts, SMS's used by consumers.

"Not many people use radio these days" Agree, but people do still listen to radio in cars, especially talk back. If consumers didn't listen, why do Politicians still go on talk back radio ?????? (They do here, not sure about the UK as I left a long time ago).

" Regardless, they newspapers only followed up after wikileaks leaked the data. The mainstream media didn't intend to publish the leak before that -- they actually seem to have sat on it."

Which of my examples are you referring to ? The NY Times information that they sat on or Prince Harry ? If NY Times, they published it AFTER Bush was re elected - ie they didn't want to damage his re election chances.

"True, but the fact is that until a non-mainstream media outlet published the data, the mainstream-media sat on it. If the government could block the non-mainstream media outlets, that information would have either never been released, or released such a long time from now that it would no longer be useful."

You seem to have a very strong view that the Gov't can block or censor the non-mainstream media outlets. Considering the net is NOT controlled by state borders but is readily available to people within those borders, I strongly disagree with you that they can control ANY media or communication outlet EXCEPT by possible use of the Courts and a D Notice which I think are still in use.

The only exception to the above is China which does have a very good set up on censorship AND controls the internet within China.

I await your response.

Does anyone else want to chime in with their views ????