PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Must watch the weather!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2002, 14:00
152small

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Must watch the weather!

First of all, Big Greets to All.

I have been an Avid reader of this site, although have never posted until know, but feel this is the best place to vent my excitement!

Went Solo on Saturday after 13 hrs 40 minutes. I knew I was getting close but even so at the end of an hour and about 5 circuits (plus one go around ) I was still shocked when my instructor got on the radio and announced "got one for a first solo here". I could hear my heart pumping in my head. As he got out, my instructor told me that I would climb at a better rate without him in it. He closed the door and have got to admit for a few seconds looked all around the controls thinking "oo-err, what now?" .
I taxied to the holding point, and found myself reporting just about everything on the radio

"Juliet Mike ready for departure"

"Juliet Mike Lining Up"

but stopped short of "Juliet Mike, Bricking it!"

probably to warn people what I was up to incase it all went pear shaped.

Discovered that the throttle was connected directly to my heart speed controller, as I opened it up thought there would be an internal organ explosion.

Take off good, but when instructor said the faithful 152 would go quicker, I never expected it to be four times as fast (that's what it felt like, everything seems to happen a lot quicker when you are on your own).

Talked to myself the whole way round as I read checks outa loud (did anyone else do this on their first solo or am I just losing the plot).Got to admit, I did let the height drop approx 100 feet while BUMFICHing on downwind (which my instructor keenly spotted), but vsoon got back up to correct height and started to realise how much fun I was having, and did know what I was doing after all.

No time to reflect, as soon lined up on finals. Approach angle and speed good, a quick glance to the right showed the Andrewsfield Meerkat society (made up of my instructor and several others all closely scrutinising landing). Prayed I didn't enter the triple jump contest with a "Hop, skip and jump arrival". Landing was one of my best , so pleased with myself (and desperate for a pint) that forgot the after landing checks and opted to taxi straight in instead.

Its an amazing experience as I'm sure most of you will know, with one of the most ddelightful things being the general feeling of Eurporia being shared by all around the club. That first beer was by far the best tastingbeer in the world (and set me well in the mood for getting trollied in the eveing).

This flying business is top stuff, although it certainly keeps you poor, but think I was always destined to have the eternal student bank balance. I used to take the P&^s out my parents for rushing in to the lounge to watch the extended weather on "Country File" , but can't get enough of weather forecasts nowadays, especially on Friday nights (formerly heavy drinking night- now Saturday- but instead pre lesson excitement night, though I'm sure I am not alone.

Excellent forum by the way, some great posts that have occupied my time whenI should be talking IT bollox to colleagues. Certainly makes the day go faster while day dreaming of getting up there again.Now I have come out the PPRUNE loset, Hope to bump into you all (not in a plane of course) in the near future someplace.

Happy Flying.

152small