PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Man ‘chokes to death eating Jetstar meal’
Old 5th Sep 2011, 12:17
Boomerang_Butt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No probs Rat. Seems in this case there WERE more elements at play than the media suggested (surprise surprise)

In my opinion it's not a good idea to use bunks for this purpose as the crew should have access to them should the need arise (very likely after an event like this- they would need somewhere to take some time apart if indeed the flight did not divert and it was a long one.) Or, to discuss things with the family in privacy if there is nowhere else suitable.

Allowing the family member to remain with the body is always recommended if possible; it helps the acceptance and grieving process. It seems to me that some comments on media articles think they forced her to do this or it was a bad idea.
In cases where the person has had to be placed in a galley area, the family member would always be allowed to remain there so long as it was safe to do so- so they would go back to their seat for landing.

If medical professionals were involved they would hold a discussion with the family after the event (time permitting) to explain what actions were taken and why, and explain why the person could not be saved if that is the case.

Seems to me that everyone did exactly what they should have done, on the information that we have to hand. I think it's extremely uncalled for to make comments about the (lack of) ability of the crew since we clearly don't have the full story here.