PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article: NTSB: Emirates 777 continued flight after loud bang, messages
Old 5th Sep 2011, 11:27
sAx_R54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that uncommon for bits to come off and damage wiring to (in this case non-critical) components.
The frequency of bits coming off may be one thing, the potential for a rapidly degenerating condition may be another. It is clear from reading many of the threads in this Forum SpainAir Madrid, AF447, BA038, AA Kingston JA, Fedex Tokyo,that there are many unknowns and fewer known unknowns for even the most experienced and competent of pilots. Many of the 'nervous chattel' seated towards the rear of the composite/alloy matrix tube are not aware of this and instead think a system operated and managed through several dependencies e.g. ATC, Re-fueling, Maintenance, Engineering design and construction, cargo handling, weather forecasting and not least the peak of the ice-berg, those who release the parking brakes, would do nothing but apply the precautionary principle, where there is the remotest doubt about any unknown.

From my analysis which is restricted by cursory knowledge of aviation, rapid degeneration can give a pilot(s) an extremely narrow window in which to make the correct decision and execute a recovery plan. Thread drifting slightly to illustrate this point (see T-Tail deep stall - Deep Stall), the pilots had less than 2mins to act upon the information they were receiving and make the correct decision. Sadly, they were unable to so by the time the CVR stopped recording.

So for the avoidance of any doubt, the packed sardine like 'chattel' in the rear, would rather not be used as flying guinea pigs and would prefer a firm 'decline' from the twin peaks in front, where there is any doubt in data emitted from these highly contiguous systems. Whilst this is easy for me to say in the anonymity of the PPRuNe Forum, I recognise that those that have a passion for flying heavy metal would like to remain employed and not have to succumb to the wrath of their managers. However they (you) should not be afraid to stand by that which you believe is correct on whatever day you choose to exercise such judgment. The 'chattle' in the back will appreciate it as they will have survived to join the contiguous aviation system on another day and more importantly so will your family, who will be spared the rhetorical management line, of what a great servant to aviation you had been.

Apologies to those who think I have spent in excess of my $0.02c.