PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Commercial Applications of Airships
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2011, 01:53
Meccano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the early days of sail it was impossible to sail into wind.
Later new types of rigging were developed which allowed boats to sail to within 20 or 30 degrees of the wind. Add a bit of tacking and you had a solution. Not ideal, but for centuries that is how man got about the worlds oceans.

Giving the example of a 60kt headwind is therefore a bit ridiculous. Why sail into the teeth of the wind? Modern day aircraft don't do it. We avoid Headwinds (jetstreams) and take advantage of Tailwinds (jetstreams).
I believe it's called Pressure Pattern Flying.
A 60kt Headwind can easily be converted to a 30kt Headwind simply by turning 30 degrees out of it. And one mans 60kt Headwind is another mans 60kt Tailwind!

Besides that, if sailing ships could use the wind to sail almost directly into wind, there must be some way to adapt that wind power to provide forward thrust to an airship. That would be a real technology breakthrough.

So Airships don't need to sit on the ground when its windy. Therefore there's no reason for the assett to be unproductive. Besides, I'm pretty sure the cost of building an airship could be way less than that of an A380 or B747.

Seriously though - what are your alternatives in a future without cheap oil?

By the way - as regards your opined lack of interest from passengers - ever heard of this crowd?
Orient-Express - Luxury Train Journeys
It's not the fastest way to travel by train, nor the cheapest. But it's a business that has thrived for decades after the Steam Age died, and booking a ticket is not easy. I know, I've tried.
People still choose it over flying, or taking a fast train.
Why is that?
Yes its a niche operation. But it would be a way to start, and prove the application.

I know of an Irish American guy who is currently working with the Chinese on a new airship technology demonstrator. We'll probably see them do it long before anyone in the West.
Apparantly they're very interested in the military applications.....

Last edited by Meccano; 5th Sep 2011 at 02:11.