PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R-Day!!!
Thread: R-Day!!!
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2011, 21:28
Seldomfitforpurpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A and C
Welcome to my world and the world of a lot of people in civil aviation, no one gives a flying **** about you or how you planned to live your life, it's just about the money.

Sorry to disappoint but this is not about me, I am not being made redundant and am not going to be, I will serve to age 55 and then retire, as in never work again

Do I feel for these people? yes because I have been dumped in the situation three times now. You just have to get on your feet and fend for yourself.

As a civilian you will simply not get this but you will never have signed a contract with an employer that states you will fully commit your life to them to age 38/40/47/55 depending on terms of service. You have never said to your employer that you will go where ever when ever they say for as long as they say. You need to have served to understand exactly what service folk give

To say this has been badly handled is a bit rich,

It has been badly handled and badly thought through. There are plenty of folk like me who are close enough to retirement to seriously consider early retirement if offered but it's not even an option. I and others would happily move over and let others step up into our shoes but we are stuck in the pension trap, anyone with half a brain cell could have worked this out

there is a redundancy package that is much better than anything I have ever seen in civil aviation. If you think I am not telling the truth you can ask anyone from Bcal, Dan-air, Air Europe, Debonair, XL, Silverjet, Globespan, Silverjet and few other companies that have slipped my mind at the moment, they will all tell you about the redundancy package that was worth a big fat zero £.
Like I said you're a civvy so will never quite grasp what most of those being made redundant have given up over the years in the service of their country.