PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R-Day!!!
Thread: R-Day!!!
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2011, 20:30
The B Word

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
In the Highlands there's a pretty big tourist industry, forest/land management, North Sea oil and the normal commercial enterprises - as much as the South West I would say.

On the mortgage front, if taking a new job, I would always look to rent first if relocating anyway. That way you don't end up buying the first place you see, check the "lie of the land" with respect to schools and also, if your probationary period doesn't work out then you don't have a mortgage to worry about.

The one that planned to be at Kinloss for the rest of their life whilst serving in HMforces should not be surprised at having to relocate - that is one of the reasons we get paid X-factor. Otherwise, that individual is in denial and has been taking X-factor on false pretences (and I'm not talking about the thing with Simon Cowell). When I bought houses I always expected to have to sell/rent them out after 3 years and move elsewhere.

I bet Mrs Sffp doesn't have a large tax-free lumpsum, resettlement package with funding and an immediate pension (in some cases) that most of our guys will have. Most don't start on the same salary they left on unless they're lucky, some offset this with an immediate pension and some just have to suck it up (the tax free lump sum should help).

I do not share your gloom, old boy...

The B Word