PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Changi 1950s
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2011, 19:46
zerofeetaboveground

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF Changi 1950s

Hello all.

I am posting this hoping some of you may be able to help with a family mystery.

My Grandfather was based at RAF Changi in the 1950s as maintenance staff repairing the planes based there - I believe he worked on the radio equipment.

Sometime in 1956 he had been involved in repairing a plane and took off on a test flight, the story goes there were 6 on board and sadly this plane disappeared during the flight and was never seen again. I am told no wreckage was discovered from the plane during the searches for the craft and its crew. I am wondering if anyone would know if the RAF would still have a record of the disappearance and possibly any report they wrote at the time? Would it be possible to obtain a copy?

Could anyone give a hint as to the types of plane based at Changi in the period my Grandfather was working there or indeed which type of plane he may have been working on that took a 6 man crew (or capacity for 6 for the test flight).

This has always fascinated me but I've never known which way to go about gaining information on what happened. Thank you in advance for your help