PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA PPL in USA - is it really cheaper?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2011, 19:36
dodos9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAA PPL in USA - is it really cheaper?

Hello everyone!

I know that there is a lot of similar topics, but I haven't found any that would answer my question: Is it actually cheaper to do the JAA PPL in USA? If so, then what is the overall cost of the whole idea (including return flight ticket price to USA, headset+other equipment etc.)?

A JAA PPL in USA, something I haven't really considered because the price + other expenses seemed to be equal to what I would have to pay doing it here - in the UK.

However, yesterday, I have read a very long article on pprune.org about JAA PPL in USA and I decided to re-consider it. So, today I have done some research and I have found that there are 6 JAA certified schools in USA (actually one is a helicopter school; therefore 5); one in CA and the rest in FL. I have looked at the cost stated at their websites, some of them include taxes, VISA fees etc., while others don't . Anyway, the prices are roughly about 9000USD which works out to be around 5500GBP, which when added to about 500GBP for the return flight EGCC-KMCO or EGLL-KSAN, and another 1000GBP for other expenses (JAA medical, PPL books, headset, plotting equipment, VISA fees etc.), overall adds up to 7000GBP. 7000GBP, is what I would expect to pay here in UK (correct me if I am wrong). Therefore, since it works out to be roughly the same, why do quite a lot of people go to USA to do their JAA PPLs? One reason that would make me want to still go there, if the overall cost would work out to be actually the same, is the fact that you go there and after 3 weeks, you comeback with your PPL; unlike in UK due to weather and other limiting factors (time, for example). So, are my calculations right? Or am being naive, thinking that it is so cheap? Or maybe so naive thinking it is so expensive?

I would like to hear from a person who could either confirm or correct my calculations about how much it costs to do the PPL here in the UK (I suppose the majority obtained their PPLs in UK), and also from a person who has done their JAA PPL in USA. Hopefully, after all I will be able to answer my question: Is it actually cheaper to do the JAA PPL in USA?

Thanks in advance