PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Commercial Applications of Airships
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2011, 14:20
Meccano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Exascot. I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in your thread.
I for one think the airship is a brilliant idea whose time is again fast approaching. As hydrocarbon fuels become more and more expensive (if we are to believe the Peak Oilers) then this technology may be all we have in future to cater to the mass transport or the long haul cargo lifting task.

I can imagine a future in which fuel is too expensive to provide affordable travel to the masses, as it exists today. Can you imagine the negative impact on global tourism if airline seats quadrupled in cost? As prices continued rising - the only people flying would be the very wealthy.
Imagine the dissapointment of future generations who could only read about the fantastic trans-continental trips their grand parents made, and took for granted.

But if we had practical Airships....

I remember having a series of photos emailed to me by a friend - the interior shots of the Hindenburg. The luxury was amazing, because these ships could be built big, and fitted out very comfortably.

Three days to cross the Atlantic in superb comfort, meals with the passengers at the Captains table. A private State Room. All happening at a nice gentle pace. None of the frantic rushing that modern day air travel, entails. No more endless hours spent strapped into a cramped seat with bawling kids climbing all over you. For tourists, the journey could genuinely be marketed as part of the holiday experience.

Just peace and quiet, gliding along over land and sea at FL100.

My God. what a way to fly. I fancy a job on one of them to be honest.

That newspaper article is pretty sketchy on the details, so I'm not sure how practical these new technologies are, or how they'll work, but any progress in this area is welcome.

Sign me up!!