PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore Trooper
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2011, 11:27
Tevios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore Trooper

In about 1960, we set out on an epic trip to Singapore on an Eagle Airways Britannia as far as I can remember. The trip was epic and we lost one engine. At one fuel stop we had run out of food and the crew brought aboard pineapples and bananas the likes of which I have never tasted since.
The return leg two and a half years later was by Comet. We were all scared since the early Comet did not have a good reputation. The early ones were designed with 'square shaped' passenger windows. (Ours was by then, oval shaped window version). After several crashes, it was realised that the cause was metal fatigue caused by the failure of the windows in the corners. After this, the aircraft was redesigned and the windows were the more 'normal' shape.

I have finished writing an Autobiography. It's not technical in any way but goes into incidents like the above and later when I was a Missile Aimer in the Royal Navy in 'Wasp' Helicopters. Some of the things that happened are extraordinary looking back and a far cry from todays standards.