PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Morale Rock Bottom
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2002, 09:27
SpannerInTheWerks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlapsOne

Hear, hear!

Absolutely ridiculous to expect to be paid for discretion and as you point out would send completely the wrong message to crews. Can't see the CAA being particularly enamoured by that idea either.

If some of the foregoing arguments and suggestions are expected to be taken seriously by management, then God help us!

We must remember that, fundamentally, we are seeking to improve our terms and conditions based on our EXISTING contracts of employment. This round of pay negotiations cannot be an exercise, as some people seem to promote, where we re-write the rule book in an attempt to improve our lot as professional pilots on the back of easyJet's commercial success.

Commercial pilots have suffered over the past few decades, in common with a number of professions, in that their overall wealth has been eroded over time. This is a fact of life - not easyJet's fault nor their responsibility to remedy in isolation. That said, there is a long way to go it seems before management come anywhere near satisfying the improvements to the existing contracts of employment of their pilot workforce.

I may act as Devil's Advocate from time to time but I will support wholeheartedly any fair and reasonable effort to provide an equitable improvement to our working conditions within the tenets of the terms and conditions of employment to which we are all bound. Unfortunately with a management team in place who seem to be colour-blind to the 'orange' principle, I see a long and winding road ahead.

I also think that in view of the confidential nature of the impeding pay negotiations that this thread be moved to the easyJet private forum - or a new thread be continued there out of public gaze.