PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who is using there Ipad for flying?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 09:25
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing from the relatively few replies that the answer to many original question is not many; which I find a bit surprising considering that regular users of an internet forum are likely to be more technology orientated I would have thought.

Contacttower - try Goodreader, much better than iBooks. Not free, though.
Thanks, it was only $4.99 so not a big deal. Downloaded it and then with the app's download manager I was able to download the EuroFPL regional chart pack for France for example. Granted the charts are not as good as the Jeppesen ones but unlike the UK ones they are complete (ie have RVR mins and don't need system minima adding to the MDAs) and ready to use.

As far as the issue with the screen in bright sunlight is concerned I have only found it a problem if the screen is very smeared from repeated use. Give it a wipe with your sleeve or something now and again and I find it to be readable. I appreciate that in some cockpits with a lot more window space than the C182 and PA28 that I have used it in readability might be more of an issue though.

This is what I've been using in the cockpit to hold the iPad. Only thing it lacks is a pen holder.