PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jade Cargo
Thread: Jade Cargo
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 09:06
skyryder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grist for the mill..

A. Jack and Talon,

I am not sure about recruiting for F/O's. I know they are conducting a screening in FRA this month (as per the web site) and I know they are focusing on pilots with type or at least time on the airplane. I suspect this is to curb the training time to the line and also deal with the inability to upgrade issue.
I am not sure if the moronic action the idiot at Juneyao just pulled is going to affect the ability to employ foreign pilots on a nationwide scale or not. It is a tight spot for sure. I heard that the number of citizen pilots that are not under contract to a national carrier is a really small number, and the airline industry continues to grow. I know the CAAC wants to make a statement about how things will be done in China, but I also know that if they make it too hard, the industry will suffer.
Anyway, the truth is that a number of pilots have left Jade, and are continuing to leave. Most of the guys that work at Jade do/will have other options and as their contracts expire will have to make a decision as what to do.
Most of those who have left have been F/O's that were told when they joined they would be able to upgrade. Recently a number of PIC's have left as well, mostly because of working conditions (or lack thereof) and the fact the compensation package has stagnated. There maybe some increases coming soon, but that is all speculation.
The roster has gotten a lot more stable and there is currently a new flight management staff in place. The Chief Pilot has some experience in this type of operation which is cause for hope as he is the first to have experience.
Just so there is no confusion, there is not now, nor will there be (IMHO) a domicile anywhere outside of China. What IS in place is a rostering package that allows a pilot to begin and end the block days off in one of the European destinations and rostering will try to work with you to make the city closest to your home (if you live in Europe or want to commute across the Atlantic).
Jade has rationalized its route structure, which has made for fewer enroute delays and more reliability. However, the next 3-4 months are going to be a real challenge for the rostering staff as well as the pilot group. The pilot losses are at the critical stage, at least that is my opinion and the increased flying heading into the Western holiday season is going to put a strain on resources.
If you are interested, put in the paper, follow it up and stay on them. However, come here with eyes wide open. The Chinese society has a way of doing things that has "worked" for them for centuries. They are not likely to change to accommodate a small group of "temporary" workers, no matter how much "we" think they need to change. If you can't live with that, then do yourself a favor and stay away. If you can, you may find yourself working with a good bunch of guys, in a very interesting part of the world. For sure, the word "boring" will rarely enter your lexicon.
One more thing, for the most part, these are just my opinions, and I am sure that you all are aware of the similarities of opinions with a certain body part. Proceed at your own peril.

Sky