PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ditched off Sydney Northern Beaches this morning?
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 08:45
VH-XXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apology accepted

I commend those that assist and have done it myself, however what frequently happens (not suggesting it happened here) but others get involved, radio traffic increases, adrenaline kicks in, confusion reins and important messages can be lost, for example the accident aircraft might be trying to transmit. Chinese whispers is what usually occurs. Hard to not want to get involved though.

Something I've heard a few times is when a beacon goes off, then slowly as aircraft come over to the area frequency they hear about the beacon then check 121.5 and report to centre, but usually centre has already asked specific aircraft for reports on the signal strength, but what ensues is a schmozel of non-essential radio calls. The way I look at it is that if radar wants details they will ask, but admittedly not always relevant. If you've heard the drama from the start you usually know when and weather to get involved.