PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Australia its own Worst Enemy?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 01:25
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worrals I guess the difference is that visa overstayers at least had a visa one upon a time and don't have access to public funds, medicare and endless free legal advice.
Fair enough, I hadn't considered that. They also have to fly under the radar and behave themselves, because a lot who do get caught (and subsequently deported) first come to notice after being arrested for a minor offence, getting a parking ticket or similar.

I had no problem with the TPV system. FWIW I do see a lot of African refugees in Brisbane working, integrating and generally settling down. It's not across the board of course and it may be different in other cities, but no immigrant group is going to be 100% squeaky clean (as anyone who's dealt with Irish backpackers knows only too well, mad brawlers the lot of them and that's just the girls...).

I'm no fan of extended welfare for anyone, whether they're new to the place or 5th generation Aussies. As long as there are enough learn English programs and stuff to get people settled (and there are quite a lot of support agencies and programs that go unnoticed by the media) there should be no reason for most refugees to be out of work.

Thanks, Andu! I feel better now...

Last edited by Worrals in the wilds; 3rd Sep 2011 at 04:57.