PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ditched off Sydney Northern Beaches this morning?
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 23:25
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me first say condolences to the family of the pilot.

It's a sensitive subject, the art of watching, voyeurism so to speak. We are all guilty of it in some form or another. But what 'intheweeds' mentioned society demands it or at least expects photo's/footage of any accident. Take a look at the Space Shuttle that exploded not long after lift off some years ago. 7 died in that & we all watched it live! I know we where not expecting it but we watched the same footage over & over again for ages, no one was forced to watch it again but am sure we did at sometime or another latter on. Even our regulators desire such voyeurism in some adds for smoking & car accidents showing very graphic photos etc. We see the results of car accidents nightly on TV(& even out there on the roads), someone died in that tangled mess right there on our TV screens, are we really that desensitized to death that much?
Perhaps the TV announcers should have mentioned just before the footage came on TV of the wrecked plane that viewer discretion is advised. I'd make a fair bet that we ALL would have still watched it even if we where forewarned.
Tragic it is, news it is also but we do have a choice,don't watch it if yr offended as TV is now very interactive.

Wmk2

Last edited by Wally Mk2; 2nd Sep 2011 at 23:42.