PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ditched off Sydney Northern Beaches this morning?
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 23:20
Donalduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In regards to the level of information being passed on by the media... I agree that it stinks... but I will say that in my experience, having lost a family member in a Sports Flying accident that the footage or the wreckage provided by the media was a positive thing in coming to grips with it.
Perhaps its a pilot thing as we all want to know what happened so may not apply in all cases.
In this case my Dad was on the runway behind the crash aircraft and jumped out and ran to help... Dad had a camera and even took photos of the wreckage himself and the ambulance departing the scene (not of the victim)... I think the old man was in shock at the time hence the photo taking and was unaware that the pilot had died in the ambulance before they departed the scene.... As hard as it was to look at the photos is did help strangely enough... even with my Uncle's bloody flying hat sitting on the crumpled wing.
Perhaps its different for non-flying people... but it helped me to come to grips with the tragedy.