PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 19:22
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just read that China Eastern have launched a weekly HAM-PVG A330 service as an extension to their daily FRA service. Is this not the sort of thing that BHX should be going for rather than spending millions on a runway extension? OK so its still a one stop service (against the trip down the M40 for the non stop BA or VS from LHR) but that is surely a more viable way for BHX to get a flight to China than a non stop big bird going three quarters empty? Then again if MAN can't attract CX back as a one stop via ZRH as rumoured on the MAN thread then perhaps China Eastern and such like will forever remain a dream at BHX

As for the FR debate, there is now a did they/didn't they do a deal on the MAN thread. If there was no deal done to get FR to set up at BHX then it would seem there are few profitable European routes (apart from those served already) as FR have settled in the main now on sun destinations. You can't blame them for trying, it was an audacious start, scheduled flights to Sicily, Corsica as well as cities like PSA, NYO, PIS, BLQ, TRF and OPO - if FR can't get routes like these to work then I doubt anyone can. Why these sort of routes don't work from BHX and do from others, well that is another very big question......

And finally - BHX has Stratford and Warwick on its doorstep so its not entirely devoid of inbound tourism potential however I would bet my bottom dollar that the majority of inbound tourists visiting these attractions who did fly to the UK came in via LON or perhaps MAN.....BHX has never as far as i'm aware made anything of the amrketing potential of Shakespeare, no surprise really they seem more interested in Cornish pasty heritage right now