PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 18:40
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good points dc10.

In addition to the "don't lose any altitude" mentality imposed during sim training, the stall recognition and recovery demos also tend to be under what I'd categorize as "overly favorable circumstances" to begin with. First, they're usually performed at 10-15K' and at light "training weight" where engine thrust to weight ratio invariably allows the airplane to be "blown" out of an incipient stall with the nose up 10 or more degrees. Typical pilot response times to first stall warning indication are very quick when the demo is fully briefed and hands are tensed on the yoke and T/Ls, ready to react. It seems to me that real world stall events aren't so well planned!

The induced drag associated with flight at or near CL max is easily overcome in a lightly loaded jet at low altitude. This is highly unlikely to prepare a pilot for a more real-world incipient stall event, let alone a more developed stall or while at at max cruise altitude.

Unfortunately, the sim probably won't have reliable data for AOA beyond critical values so training in that regime would be impractical. But I think that after practicing the demo at low or mid altitude, it might be instructive to try
it again at near maximum altitude, perhaps while simulating a climb into warmer air or an increasing tailwind component with the AP engaged and "nobody minding the store". When the AP lets go, you'll see your trade of altitude for airspeed or you'll see something which would be marked as a failure to recover. Either way it would be most instructive. I thought this matter should have been settled following the Pinnacle "four-one-oh-it dude" episode.

The forgoing represents my personal experience at each of the major bizjet training providers in three different types. I'd be interested in comparing how airline sim training treats stall demos.

westhawk