PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who is using there Ipad for flying?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 16:50
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It works well as an approach plate display device - basically it makes an excellent PDF document reader.
Are you using the special Jeppesen app that allows you to use JeppView? At the moment since I don't have an electronic Jeppesen sub I'm just downloading AIP plates into iBooks, which actually works OK, but I assume there are other apps which are better for viewing approach plates?

I don't really have any interest in using it as a GPS since its unlikely that I would ever be flying an aircraft without a panel mounted one and when I do I have a handheld Garmin anyway which obviously works better.

I guess especially for IFR flight the essential issue is the back-up of the plates, I did use it without a back up for a very short IFR flight recently when I knew I would be in visual conditions the whole time. Some things like the enroute or VFR chart I'm never going to give up the paper one but for plates what would people consider to be a sensible approach? At the moment I generally print destination and alternate.

I noticed that EuroFPL now let you download entire countries worth of AIP plates, I did that onto my computer but I couldn't get it to load onto the iPad and the 'iPad' link didn't seem to work (which I'll contact them about) which would be great because then one would never have to worry about being caught without plates.

BackPacker have you used iAIP?