PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Requirements?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 12:46
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by GgW
I know, that's why I think that if you want to get paid as a inexperienced instructor you must have a CPL, I dont care about the class 1 medical.
Surely they're either good enough to teach, or not. Payment is irrelevant to that safety based decision.

fly/no fly decision- you're not serious.
I'm now an instructor and a CPL, previously as an experienced (yes ~1000hr) PPL I was regularly checking out new pilots who'd joined a couple of aircraft syndicates I belong(ed) to - entirely legally I hasten to add, they were qualified to fly the aeroplane and I didn't log it or request payment. Particularly from a syndicate on a non-radio strip, where you had to turn up, get the aeroplane out from under covers, pre-flight, walk the runway to decide whether the condition was okay, squint at the windsock to estimate wing,decide which runway to use, phone the nearby military helicopter base to ask them to ****off and stop using our runway for practice attack runs - many PPLs found this all quite alien and were not at-all comfortable, at-first, making these decisions on their own without having an instructor to go and talk to, somebody in the tower to pass them information...

A few PPLs simply decided they couldn't cope and changed their minds about joining the syndicate before heading back to a big club with an instructor always around and somebody on the radio.

So yes, I'm serious.

jerry cans - most people fly into airfields with avgas/mogas fill it up and make sure they have enough to get back out of the then visiting strip again.Good airmanship.
So good airmanship is not to keep your personal / group aircraft at a strip with no fuel supply then? Or never to operate an aircraft which needs MOGAS, given that most airfields only have AVGAS pumps. Or operate microlights near a GA airfield that bans microlights - so you can't fill up there?

Or alternatively, you could include how to store and fuel from jerry cans in strip flying training? I went for this version.

G