PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 12:25
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mr. Optimistic
Are you discussing the control of the aircraft when stalled ? If so, surely the control characteristics are markedly different from what anyone is used to in normal flight, and the aircraft response ditto. Aircraft seems to have been very well behaved given the situation.
I was answering upon DozyWannabes remark
One thing that I find interesting in the traces is that the sidestick traces are based on a graph where left stick input relates to values > 0, whereas roll traces say that values > 0 relate to right wing down. If this is that case then PIO/APC needs to be looked into, as the traces of roll vs. sidestick show the precise opposite.
and tried to find an explanation for it. It is not relevant for the start of the upset and stall, but it is relevant information, as it is a typical stall behaviour for a swept wing aircraft. Known to the crew it should have helped to recognize the stall (if they missed everything else) and to react more adequate to the rolling tendency by using manual rudder instead of aileron to roll wings level.

mm43
Have another look at the traces and you will find the yaw damper was working and contributed more and more as the IAS decreased. The pedals were only used from 2:13:05, and all other rudder movements were from the yaw damper.
Yaw damping was active, also according to manual, but not side slip estimation.

- sideslip estimation (except in alternate 2 or direct laws)
Honestly i donīt know how this missing sideslip estimation influences the behaviour of the rudder in a stall, or how the functioning yaw damping influences it in a positive or negative way. But hopefully somebody can explain.

Check Post #373 and you will note that the second group of traces is a compilation of pitch, roll and rudder input. I don't think the yaw damper was helping with the roll as lateral stability decreased.
That compilation does not help, as it reflects the pitch attitude, the rudder position and the bank angle, but not the input from stick or rudder. Would be interesting to compile those with the input from SS and Rudder, the difference then would be the FCPC input (would do it myself, but am too dumb for it).