PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lockheed Martin - this is for you - L-1011 New Generation
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 11:03
rbaiapinto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockheed Martin - this is for you - L-1011 New Generation

This is a message addressed to Lockheed Martin (that's because I know they will read this ) and fellow ppruners who want to contribute in a constructively manner.

Sorry the terms in English, but not being native, sometimes we mix our mother tongue with English one.

Let's get to the point:

L-1011 Tristar was a great aircraft as all of the pilot community recognizes. It's technological advances and it's new systems were a radical change in the design of an aircraft. As long as I'm deepen my knowledge about this aircraft I get more and more surprised with the level of innovation these new systems represented. Even today there is no match for the kind of engineering LM engineers came up to.

So the issue is as follows:

- It seems there is a high demand for aircraft these days and the trend still looks it will continue.
- On the long-haul there's hardly no competition apart from B/AB.
- The airline industry is waiting for a competitive long haul aircraft, so it can launch new business models on the long range.
- Boeing has recently decided to upgrade it's 737 with new engines, using a frame already designed and fully tested and with a relatively small amount of designing and engineering will be able to introduce a very competitive aircraft, which seems it will have a great success.

Looking at this, wouldn't it be a good move from LM to grab the L-1011 Tristar, upgrade its navigation and control systems to the new modern glasscockpits thus eliminating the 3rd crew, using this new Leap X engines instead of the three engines and with a relatively small amount of investment, come up with a strong long haul option?

This new L-1011 BISTAR would seem to me that with a very competitive price, superior technology and reputation from Lockheed Martin would have all the necessary to be a case of success.

There are companies, at least in Europe, who are waiting for some years now, that the long-haul equipment reduce it's acquisition prices, so that they can be able to launch new operations. However (Boeing and Airbus guys will not like me very much for saying this) this market is in the hands of two manufacturers. So perhaps the price for these type of air planes will be hard to reduce.

I have nothing against Boeing or Airbus, on the contrary, I do like very much their aircraft. I just think that it's a shame that such a good (excellent) plane as it is (still flying) L-1011 with its innovation systems couldn't be continued and improved, that's all.

Hope to ear some more elaborated and constructive comments from the community!
Regards!