PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If the RAF ran a school..
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 08:32
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Dunno about a school, but if the RAF ran a university you could cut the length of most degree courses in half.

Doing a language degree 15 years after I left the service I was amazed how little time was actually involved in teaching/seminars/tutorials etc. Students on my course moaned that we had around 15 contact hours a week for three ten week terms a year (eight weeks at Oxbridge I believe), as they thought this was excessive. I compared this to my one year going through nav school when even my suggestion that we might have an hour free once a month for "admin" was scornfully rejected as a waste of valuable time.

And yes I know we had to write essays, spend time in the library etc at uni, but I had loads of time for leisure activities and basically just lazing around and still managed a 2:1 in the days before that degree had become as devalued as it now has. How about all the recently redundant service types setting up their own uni? Maybe MOD will give them a disused site for the purpose - there are plenty of them