PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin 430
Thread: Garmin 430
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 07:56
SDB73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is that any "old" PC user ends up finding so much stuff stops working under 7 so a lot of stuff one has paid for, and which works, has to be chucked out, and most of it is unsupported so you don't get updates, you lose the familiar functionality and have to splash out more £££ to replace it. OK in a corporate scenario, sure.
If you'd said THAT originally, I would have completely agreed. But it's a huge leap to say ".. and therefore there is no point to Win 7", or ".. which proves that WinXP is the best OS".

What you're basically saying is that WinXP is the best OS if :
- you have a lot of obscure, obsolete software which is aimed at such a minute market that it really isn't worth the developers a) writing the software properly in the first place, OR (not "and") b) supporting it with updates for modern, supported operating systems.
- you don't want to spend any money upgrading
- you are the kind of person that "gets used to" features and functions and would rather not upgrade and have to learn a whole load more
- you're not too worried about stability or security
- you don't want to use lots of RAM

Of course, then I completely agree with you. But as soon as you don't fall into any of the above categories, WinXP is not longer the best OS for you, and in fact there is a USE for Win7.

-

For the record, I use Win 7 x64 exclusively on my two desktop PCs, and one laptop, and the Garmin Trainer is the first application I have found not to work. Including apps I've written myself ten years ago, and everything from business software, to utilities, to development tools, and even the odd game! You must be horendously unlucky that "loads" of your software doesn't work on Win7 - I'd be interested in that list, for personal morbid interest, as I'm pretty sure you'll either a) be able to get it working, or b) find a vastly superior alternative in most - if not all - cases.

A small disclaimer - I am by no mean a MS supporter. I have had a downer on pretty much every OS they've produced in the last 15 years. So there's nobody more shocked than I that Win 7 is actually a stunning OS. But some people a naturally averse to change, and this can caused clouded vision and a head-in-sand outlook.