PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we all being taken for a ride?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2002, 22:05
Flypuppy

Chieftan o'the Pudden Race

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send Clowns,

From what I remember, the Inland Revenue were already in the process of trying to phase out NVQ for flying and diving courses in 1996. I remember one of my friends trying to get NVQ on a commercial diving course in early 1997 and failing. Didn't everyone who wanted to claim NVQ have to be registered with the Air Training Authority before the beginning of 1998? I vaugly remember something about that.

Unfortunately I cant take your viewpoint, politicaly speaking, as unbiased. As the ex-secretary of the Reform Club you obviously have a certain viewpoint that is somewhat right of center.

If flying clubs and schools hadn't taken the p!ss with NVQ tax relief and airlines had taken more of an interest in signing people off on the Level 4 NVQ maybe we would still have NVQ. I dont beleive a single NVQ4 qualification was issued. The industry only has itself to blame on that one. It wasn't just aviation that had NVQ removed as I have mentioned a few times now.

Training to become an airline pilot is still regarded as a glamour job. Until there is desparate shortage of qualified pilots and Joe Shellsuit cant go on holiday to Playas Des Americas will politicians take any notice. We have no representation in any union, anyone tried asking BALPA what their standing is on this subject? When I contacted Chris Drake in 2000 the basic answer was they dont give a monkeys.

The implementation of JAR has had more impact on the cost of training than the loss of NVQ.

There just isnt the political will to help out what is percieved to be a predominatly white middle class male group of people who want to become flyboys.

BTW, dont turn this into a political slanging match. I'm not interested in what you think of this or any other government. I'm not a Blairite, I resent the insinuation that I am.

Last edited by Flypuppy; 22nd Oct 2002 at 22:11.