PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welcome back pollution :(
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 03:46
MrClaus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gigaboomer

I will only reply to post 14 as I don't have the time to address your other points. Your premise is that evolution cannot explain why humans are moral and just. That without another explanation we would have a breakdown in law and order: anarchy.

I disagree. We evolved to be highly socialized creatures to survive. Only our intelligence and the ensuing development of tools, weapons and the creation of effective social patterns allowed us to survive against physically superior predators. The key words here are 'highly socialized groupings'. Anarchy by an individual or part of the group doesn't work as you need to cooperate to survive. Thus the anarchic element doesn't survive and pass their genes on. Ie Narural selection

Further, this leads to humans naturally being moral. Now I hate using that word, because it is loaded with different meanings for different belief systems. But, experiments show that people will make moral decisions over immoral ones most of the time. This is because in our highly complex society, crime literally doesn't pay as any longer term strategy.

So I disagree that society will fall apart without an explanation apart from evolution.

Ps I thought naturalism was about magic stones and walking around in the nude