PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going for the PPL at 70?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 00:43
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem remains that they have a high-degree of self-confidence in their abilities, and because of the seniority complex that has been demonstrated in reply to my post (i.e. what can a young whipper snapper possibly teach me) you're never going to be able to convince them to tone down the confidence levels when flying.
Mixture.
Sorry but I don't buy that either. Maybe I'm speaking for myself but over confidence has never been one of my virtues. My flying instructors were all under 30 & I had every respect for MOST of them.
After the NPPL I went looking for the tailwheel thing, once again a young instructor, no problems.
I ran out of recency (90days=5 months of maintenance in a freezing hangar) I agonised over that for days until finally bit the bullet & took off for 3 nail biting circuits, followed later by some more until I was satisfied. If I tone down the confidence level any further I would become a dribbling vegetable.
My experience of over confidence & the seniority complex is that it comes from a perception of social standing or "I'm invincible" not age.