PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YMMB DIsplaced Thresholds - What the?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2011, 22:24
Fieldmouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Displaced Thresholds

Sunfish, since no-one else has had a go yet I'll try despite never having been to YMMB. Airservices has been updating ERSA with pictorial representations of displaced thresholds for a couple of years now. Tghe ones at Moorabin I have in a 2010 issue but not in a 2008 even though the thresholds were displaced back then too. Lots of reasons for displaced thresholds and the devil is in the distances supp of ERSA. Lots of fairly steep climb out gradients there which translate into displacements on the reciprocal runway depending upon the standard to which the runway is surveyed. Non instrument code 1 requires a 5% clear approach, code 2 a 4% clear approach, code 3 a 3.33% clear approach etc. What won't show up in the distances supp is an allowance for a critical transient vehicle on a road in the undershoot. Where I am the new rules on stock truck size meant we have to allow over 6% in one of our approaches over the highway. A bit pointless for a lighty coming in on a steep approach but aviation regs are a one size fits all deal. As for landing before a displaced threshold? Since the displaced area is included in the TORA it's guaranteed safe so why not. As long as nothing bad happens. Then there might be some explaining to do.

Last edited by Fieldmouse; 1st Sep 2011 at 23:36. Reason: Updated research