PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2011, 21:36
maxrated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DRPAM007

NO they are not legal airports in the first world sense of a legal airport, most of them are simply open areas adjacent to rural villiages and settlements, only the most robust aircraft , Twotters , DC 3's Pilatus porters etc can even contemplate operating into these places and then not in the rainy season.

The official airports you refer to are the official registered airports under the controll of the Govermunt of Sudan. Although I use the word 'controll' reservedly as most would not pass a EASA/JAR/ICAO audit. No one is even sure which parts of the country the goverment controlls at any one time.

It is possible that some airfields are used for nefarious activities, but then the country has been in a civil war for so many years so 'nefarious' would depend on which side you are on.

Back to the topic,

I am curious to know what your suggestions are regarding adressing the shortfalls of African Air safety ?

Personally I for me its a matter of keeping your eyes and ears open, maintain situational awareness, dont do anything stupid,use loads of initiative, make sure your aircraft is well maintained, just the basics really , and you should be ok.